Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Rediscovering my love for running!



        I am a runner.  For as long as I can remember, my identity was somehow wrapped up in the world of running.  Considering my parents met on their high school track team, you could say I exist because of running!  As a young child, I can remember attending my father's road races.  I went on to compete in cross country and track throughout high school.  After high school, I received an athletic scholarship and decided to compete at Saint Francis University.  For four long years I ran cross country, indoor track and outdoor track.  After countless miles, races, victories, losses and even tears, I was ready to be done.  My body and mind were tired and I was ready to move on. 

       I married my college sweetheart, John, shortly after I graduated college.  Believe it or not, we met on the cross country team at Saint Francis.  I was offered a job as a special education teacher in the Hollidaysburg Area School District and I quickly poured my energy into my first year of teaching.  After several months of only being a recreational runner, something was missing.  I did not feel complete.  I feared I would not be able to find the balance of being an "adult" and my version of a "runner", so I did not attempt to race or train.  Finally, this past summer I decided I needed a goal.  My training partner and I slowly increased our long runs.  However, I had a fear that I would not be able to be as successful as I was college.  Slowly, I started feeling I was getting back in shape and I became more confident.  In December, I took the plunge and signed up for the 2012  Pittsburgh Marathon.  I haven't looked back!

    This blog will revisit some of the training I have done in the past few months as well as what I will keep doing to prepare for the marathon scheduled May 6, 2012.  I have less than five weeks to go!  My husband John and my brother Ben will also be competing.  It has been interesting transitioning my training from the 5k to the marathon, and I have enjoyed designing and implementing my own training.   Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about running!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Anna....you seem to be a natural at running and at blogging! I look forward to following your progress and your racing endeavors.

    I'm glad you were excited about blogging. It is such fun, especially once people start looking forward to your posts.

    You are off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete