Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My favorite training partner (sorry John!)



     Running is always more fun with a partner.  I had the luxury in college to have teammates join me on daily runs.  In fact, back then I craved alone running time!  After college I met a few girls I can train with and John and I also run together frequently.  However, I met my favorite training partner to date last September.

    John and I did not want to get a dog.  We already had two cats.  A friend of mine volunteers at the Central Pennsylvania Humane Society.  I knew I should have said no when she asked if I wanted to go walk the dogs with her on a sunny Sunday afternoon in the fall.   I went anyways and soon fell in love with just about every dog who needed a good home.  Then I met a terribly skinny, scared, and depressed black lab.  My heart broke.  He did not even want to walk.  This weak dog was happy just snuggling up next to you to feel your body for comfort.  I had to have him!  The second I got home I dragged John back to the Humane Society and we brought the lab, now named Blake, home the very next day. 

    The first evening we had him we decided to take him for a walk.  Blake does not walk.  We quickly discovered what an athlete we adopted.  That first night we walked and ran 4 miles.  As Blake became more confident and started to get back to a healthy weight we kept running longer.  Blake can run 10 miles and not even be tired.  He is honestly the best dog we could have picked.  Some days we can't keep up! 

    I love running with Blake.  Some days it takes everything I have to drag myself out the door after a long day, but Blake helps keep me motivated.  As soon as he sees me putting on my running clothes he goes crazy.  It can be hard to calm him down.   We usually take him to a rails to trails or a state park so he can run off leash.  The pure joy Blake has when he runs is hard to describe.  Running has become much more enjoyable because he is so much fun to watch.  As strange as it may sound, I think it has really helped strengthen our bond.  It does not hurt to have a very tired dog in the evenings either!

2 comments:

  1. I really want to go to the Humane Society to volunteer, but I know the same thing will happen to me! I would love to have a second dog and say that we "rescued" it, but at he same time I have enough on my plate that I wouldn't be able to care for the dog as I would like. Blake is a perfect match for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my pets, dogs and cats over the years have been either strays, throwaways, etc. They make the best pets. They just want to love you no matter what.

    When I retire, one of the things I plan to do is volunteer at the humane society.

    I think you picked the perfect dog for you!

    ReplyDelete